Saturday, October 11, 2008

Campaigns, Finances, Polls

This campaign for presidency started almost two years ago. Am I the only one, or is that way too long for a campaign? Six months sounds about right to me.

How much money has been spent on these campaigns? The report is that during the week prior to the election that Obama is going to pay for half hour prime time spots on the major networks. What is the price tag for that kind of advertising? How many kids with no health insurance could have had needed operations with the money being spent for TV time? How many senior citizens on fixed income could have had help with their heating bill with the money being spent on TV time? It goes on and on. The candidates say they care about the American people. Yet rather than going out and doing something, they would rather talk to us about their strengths and their opponent's weaknesses. Actions speak louder than words. Let's face it, the majority of us can only stand so much of political commercials that are repeated, repeated, and repeated. Then its time to turn the channel.

This morning more poll figures are out giving Obama a wider margin. I am not too trustful of the polls. First, I don't where the polls were taken and what group answered the questions. I know I have never been a part of any poll, and as an independent, I'm one of those they should be talking to since I could be casting the deciding vote.

The truth of the matter is that I think a lot of white middle class independents, liberal Republicans and conservative Democrats are telling the pollsters what they think the pollsters want to hear. However, I fear that many of them when they enter the voting both are going to suddenly have doubts about voting for a man who's father is an African and will end up voting for either McCain or some candidate of a minority party.

Hopefully I am wrong and am only showing my pessimistic side. I want to hope that all of us are going to vote for the man we think is most qualified to do the job (at least out of the choices we have.)

For me there is still no clear cut victor and this is going to be one of the toughest decisions I have made since becoming eligible to vote.

The freedom to vote for the candidate of your choice is one of the greatest rights you have as an American. It is not something to be taken lightly. Let your brain be your guide, not your emotions of the moment.

Its Common Sense.

No comments: