Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Senator Cardin on appropriations and earmarks

No bailout yet. The stock market bounced back, so maybe they know something the rest of us don't.
Senator Ben Cardin - Democrat, Maryland - responded to my questions on appropriations and earmarks. Let me share his response. As always I am leaving his misspellings alone.
I would like to read your comments after you read the note.

Dear Mr. Wolfe:

Thank you for contacting me about earmark reform. In 2007, the 110 th Congress passed comprehensive legislation regarding earmark transparency procedures , which I strongly supported .

On September 14, 2007, S.1, the "New Honest Leadership and Open Government Act of 2007," was signed into law by President Bush. The New Honest Leadership and Government Act provides for public disclosure of approved earmarks and the identification of their congressional sponsors. All of my congressionally directed spending projects are listed on my website, www.cardin.senate.gov . I am proud of my support of projects ranging from Chesapeake Bay restoration to advanced medical technology development. All citizens deserve a clear understanding of how federal resources are spent.

Please be assured that I am aware of your concerns and I believe that the federal government should do more to provide taxpayers with greater transparency and accountability for earmarks . I appreciate your letting me know of your interest in this issue. If I may be of additional assistance with this or any other matter, please do not hesitate to contact me again.

No comments: