Sunday, September 14, 2008

Homeowner bailout

Within the past week the federal government took into receivership the lending leaders Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac. I wrote to the senators of Maryland, my state, and asked them why my tax dollars were being used in this manner.
After all, even though I feel sorry for the homeowners who are defaulting on their loans, the truth of the matter is they have no one to blame but themselves. They should have done their homework, read the documents, done the math regarding interest rates and looked at their income to see what their budget could realistically allow them to pay as a mortage. It's their fault, not mine and I do not think I should have to pay for it.
Also, the banks the government is bailing out. Why do my tax dollars have to be used to bail greedy banks that got in over their heads? Why aren't the shady realtors, fly by night loan companies, and the CEO's of Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac being prosecuted for criminal actions?
Instead, it is my understanding that the CEO's of Frannie Mae and Freddie Mac will received combined severence packages in the amount of $30 million.
As I stated earlier, I wrote my senators. Senator Mikulski responded letting me know that the home buyers were innocent and that she had appropriate $30 million in federal funding to assist in their legal fees. Legal fees - our tax dollars going to more lawyers for what?
Needless to say I let her know I did not agree and thought she took take the CEO's severence packages if she needed $30 million for lawyers.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello middle-aged Mike,
I agree with your sentiments - but I think the mistakes made by the govt were made earlier when they did not properly regulate the banking industry. Such high risk loans should never have been approved. Now that they were approved, allowing all of the resulting foreclosures would cause your house value and mine to plummet.

Rebecafw said...

I think this is great that you have a blog. I look forward to debating you in the future.

Love,
Becky

Rebecafw said...

This was a great entry and I look forward to reading your future entries.