Wednesday, September 17, 2008

The selling of America

This has been the month of bailouts. First Freddie Mac and Fannie Mae. Yesterday it was AIG.

Are you like me and wonder where the billions are coming from to pay for these buyouts?

Have we actually paid so much in taxes that our President and Congress can not only pay the monthly billion + to run the war in Iraq, but have billions left over to handle buyouts for financial institutions?

Out of curiosity I went hunting to find out where the money is coming from. I believed for a long time that the USA has been borrowing money from China and that was the reason President Bush went to the Olympics, rather than stay in the White House and protest China's record on human rights violations.

I found the following on a web site of the Treasury Department.

www.ustreas.gov/tic/mfh.txt

If you access the web site you will be able to see the billions of dollars foreign governments are holding in US Treasury bonds. I will be the first to admit that I do not know all the laws and regulations that are in place when someone buys a Treasury Bond. But I would certainly like to know what happens if one of these countries decides to cash in.

Many Americans worry about the problem of illegal aliens within our borders, and we will talk about that at a later time, but maybe an even bigger concern is how our "leaders" are selling out our country to foreign investors.

I thought we had to fear the foreign investors who were buying up companies and real estate in the USA. This morning when I heard that Barclay Bank in England had bought at least part of Lehman Brothers I thought "here we go again." But until I found the report above I never realized just how much of our country's finances are actually held by by foreign countries.

Regrettably I have no solution, maybe its too late and I should just let fate play out its hand.

But, I am hopeful that maybe all we Americans need is a wake up call to the plight we are headed and we will get off our apathetic butts and tell the boys and girls in DC that enough is enough.

We have to run our households with a balanced budget or lose everything to creditors, its time the President and Congress got the budget balanced so we do not lose the country to our foreign creditors and have to accept all the changes that would come from that.

Let's force the Washington gang to be responsible. Write your senators and congress person. Tell them they better start acting responsibly or come next election they'll be in the unemployment line.

We the people need to be heard, and we better do it before its too late.

1 comment:

Atom Ant said...

I also wonder about where all the money will come from to pay for the war and the bailouts. At least the AIG bailout is supposed to be short term - AIG is supposed to pay back the loan at an 11% interest rate. But I also wonder of this will really happen.