Friday, September 26, 2008

Debate & Senator Mikulski's response

Tonight, if all goes well, will be the first presidential debate of the season. Please watch and listen. Do not go in with your mind made up. Give both candidates a fair chance to state their case.
Then tomorrow we can all watch Saturday Night Live and get their insight into the debate.
Laughter is good, but we all need to take the election seriously. My hope is that the debates will give us an opportunity to see the candidates for who they are, their strengths and weaknesses. Frankly, neither one has really impressed me yet, but I am hoping that during the debates one of them will say something that will enable me to say "He's the one."
Of course, there's always a write in vote.
Anyway, my insight of the debate tomorrow.

Senator Mikulski responded to my letter regarding the restructuring of Social Security. I have left her misspelling alone.


Thanks for keeping in touch with me. It's nice to hear from you.

I believe that the United States government made a promise to Americans when the Social Security program was created. Promises made should be promises kept. Millions of Americans have contributed a portion of their salaries over their lives to Social Security, and they depend on these benefits when they retire. Jeopardizing the system now would break our promise to these Americans.

As you know, there are several proposals to reform Social Security. When comprehensive Social Security reform comes before the Senate, I want you to know that I will fight for a proposal that will ensure a guaranteed, lifetime, inflation‑protected benefit for seniors. I will also work hard to ensure that reform enhances the long‑term solvency of the Social Security program. Thank you for your seperating disability benefits from Social Security. I will keep your comments in mind as I continue to work to ensure that all Americans have a secure and reliable retirement income.

Again, thanks for contacting me. Please let me know if I can be of help to you in the future.Sincerely, Barbara A. MikulskiUnited States Senator

No comments: