Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Senator Mikulski on Tim Geithner

Last evening, Wednesday February 11, 2009 I received a response from senator Mikulski regarding voting for Secretary Geithner. Needless to say its after the fact, but she did respond and I'll share her response.



I may not agree with her, but at least she answers some times.



Dear Mr. Wolfe:

Thank you for getting in touch with me regarding the nomination of Timothy Geithner to the position of Secretary of the Treasury. It's good to hear from you.

I have heard from many Marylanders on this important nomination, and I understand your concerns. It's not too much to ask that the Treasury Secretary pay his taxes on time.

I believe each nominee should be judged on his or her merits. I have three criteria when I consider nominations. I look at the nominee's competence, integrity, and commitment to the mission of the department they seek to lead.

The mission of the Department of the Treasury is to serve the American people and strengthen national security by managing the U.S. Government's finances effectively, promoting economic growth and stability, and ensuring the safety, soundness and security of the U.S. and international financial systems. President Obama needs a Treasury Secretary at his side with the skills and experience to restore confidence and stability in our economy.

Yet I was very concerned by revelations that Mr. Geithner failed to promptly pay all of his income taxes. I ultimately voted in favor of his nomination because as we work to jump start the economy, the President needs a Treasury Secretary by his side that he trusts.
Again, thank you for writing to me. Please let me know if I can be of assistance to you in the future.

Sincerely, Barbara A. MikulskiUnited States Senator



P.S. If I can be of further assistance in the future,please visit my website at http://mikulski.senate.gov/or call my Washington D.C. office at 202-224-4654

No comments: