Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Remembering Father Joseph Glancy TOR

We received word today of the death of Father Joseph Glancy TOR. He was 78 and would have been a priest 50 years this coming May.

Joe was one of my companions on my first adventure in Amazing Amazonas in 1977. Along with Father Robert Glavey TOR and Father James Angert TOR, we boardsed a river boat, saw the encounter of the waters - the first time was great but it is still exciting everytime I see it, then went down the Amazon until it was time to turned right up the Rio Madeira.

We went up river until the the town of Nova Olinda do Norte, where Frei Jose was the pastor. During that 18 hour voyage Jose and Robert shared stories over beer and rice and beans.From Nova Olinda the remaining three of us boarded a smaller boat and went on to Borba and finally Nova Aripuna where I stayed for the summer.

Three years later, as an ordained priest, I returned to Nova Olinda and worked with Frei Jose.He and I both departed Nova Olinda two years later, me to marry, he to return to the States and take up a series of new ministries, first as a hospital chaplain, then as the pastor of small parishes in West Virginia, New Jersey, South Dakota and finally as an assistant pastor in Baltimore until he retired to the TOR mother house in Loretto, PA.

During that time Joe and I were in off and on contact. A good, kind hearted man who inspired me in my youth by his generous spirit and his great sense of humor.

He will be missed but we pray that he may rest in peace.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Mike, I'm Father Joe's nephew Mike Glancy. My father Ed is Father Joe's brother. I enjoyed reading your message and would love to hear any other stories you have about my Uncle / Father Joe. He was an inspiration to me and our family. Thanks, Mike Glancy

Mike's Common Sense said...

Mike, I would be glad to share more stories about your uncle. Send your email address to izamike@gmail.com and we can start corresponding.