Sunday, November 8, 2009

US Senate & Health Care Reform

As I promised yesterday, I attempted to read the House Health Reform Bill and got confused by all of the legalize. I do not understand why they cannot write these bills so that anyone other than an attorney can read them.

I am not satisfied with the explanation of how the bill will be paid. I think a lot of things are either implied or hidden very carefully.

So, I wrote to my senators asking them not to vote on the bill until they could explain to me in layman's terms just what the bill includes, what it doesn't include, how much it will really cost and where the money is coming from - what new taxes - to pay for it.

As always feel free to use all or any of the letter when you write to your senators.

Here's the letter.

Dear Senator

I attempted to read House Bill H.R. 3962 with little success. I wish you could generate a bill the common person could read without a legal expert.
That said I need you to clarify some items of the bill.
How is cutting Medicare by $400 billion over the next ten years going to help seniors, especially since the number of senior citizens on Medicare will be increasing greatly during that same time?
Currently the Center for Medicare and Medicaid Services is unable to deal with the amount of fraud perpetrated against Medicare. Recently a news program interviewed members of a special FBI task force in southern Florida who report that the amount being paid in Medicare fraud is more than what is being paid for illegal drugs.
How is the abuse going to be controlled? How will the fraud money be recovered? How are seniors going to be guaranteed their coverage?
Another question, what controls are in place so that private insurers cannot raise their premiums through the roof?
I am a Federal employee and the current rumor is our premiums will be raised anywhere from 8% to 20%. With no cost of living raise, that is a big.
(Imagine seniors with no COLA increase this year still having to pay higher premiums on their supplementary policies. Is any one really looking out for the seniors?)
Finally, where is the $1.2 trillion to pay for this legislation going to come from? Unemployment is at an all time high, meaning income tax revenues are down to an all time low. I do not see the new and saved jobs the stimulus was suppose to provide. Did the banks pay back interest on their bailout money? They seem to have plenty of bonus money available; I hope the government is getting its fair share.
What tax increases will we taxpayers be facing? I know a about the tax on those earning over $500,000.00 but how many fall in that category? What taxes are going to fund this Health Care Reform? (How much money are you borrowing from China to things going?)
Senator, please respond before voting on this people. The people who are going to have to pay for the legislation need to be guaranteed that is going to managed adequately, fairly and continually. There can be no loopholes and no favoritism.
Please show all the details in clear easy to read language.
Convince me that this legislation is the best thing for the country.
Thank you,
Michael Wolfe

No comments: