Sunday, November 15, 2009

Flu Shots for Prison Inmates

Friday I went to see my family doctor for my annual check up. As I near sixty, I am trying to be more attentive to my health needs because I want to reach at least one hundred.

During the course of the physical he asked if I had received a flu shot and I said yes. He knows I work for the Federal Government and he shook his head. The government, the big guys like Walgreen, Walmart and CVS all got plenty but small time practitioners like him are on waiting lists.

To be honest I thought it was only the swine flu shots that are in short supply, I did not realize it was regular flu shots as well.

And then I learned that doses are being sent to immunize inmates in State and Federal Prisons. According to reports its only for those in the danger category but it still irritates me.

I have felt for a long time that are correctional facilities are too easy on the inmates. Yes, they are locked behind bars and there are gang fights etc. But they are fed, they have better medical coverage than a lot of tax paying Americans - remember when an inmate was pushed to top of the line for a kidney transplant, even though he was a murderer? - air conditioning, cable tv and exercise equipment.

Does not sound too bad to me. Where is the punishment? Bring back the chain gang and have them provide work to the state that is housing them.

Anyway, I do not understand why anyone in prison is entitled to preferential treatment until all of the rule following citizens are taken care of. I have never heard of a massive flu outbreak in a prison - have you?

Get out the pen and let your representatives know that prisoners need to be last. Let's get the kids and elderly immunized first. Once all the "good" citizens are in the clear, then we can worry about those in prison.

Its Common Sense!

No comments: