Monday, September 21, 2009

Senator Mikulski on Medical Malpractice

Today I received two missives on Health Care Reform.

One was from David Axelrod, senior advisor to President Obama. Since I write so often to the White House, I am on their mailing list. Basically he wants me to watch Obama's speech from Congress and explain all the positive parts of the President's goals for Health Care Reform. I still haven't figured out how this is not going to cost me in some manner, shape or form. Tomorrow I will share his missive.

The second missive was from Senator Barbara Mikulski regarding medical malpractice and how to bring it under control so doctors can practice offensive medicine as opposed to defensive medicine.

Here is her letter. Let me know what you think.



Dear Mr. Wolfe:
Thank you for getting in touch with me about medical liability and health care reform. It's great to hear from you.

Health care is one of the most important issues facing families and our economy. We absolutely need to pass health reform that:

-reduces costs for providers, families, business and government

-protects people's choice of doctors, hospitals and health plans

-improves providers' ability to deliver quality care

-assures affordable, quality health care for all Americans

I share your concern about the rising cost of malpractice insurance. The high costs of malpractice insurance are a huge financial burden, affecting doctors' ability to care for their patients and even practice medicine.

I agree that we must address the issue of medical malpractice. This must be done in a way that protects doctors from frivolous lawsuits - and protects patients who suffer because of negligence or preventable injury.

Thanks once again for writing. Please let me know if I can be of assistance in the future.

Sincerely,
Barbara A. Mikulski
United States Senator

No comments: