Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Guns!!!

While some senators questioned Sotomayor on her views regarding the right to bear arms, Senator Mikulski finally responded to my concerns regarding armed citizens roaming our national parks.

The letter follows. As usual, I found it a bit disappointing.

Dear Mr. Wolfe:

Thank you for writing to me about guns and our national parks. It's good to hear from you.

Like you, oppose allowing visitors to carry loaded firearms in our national parks. Unfortunately, the CARD Act (Public Law 111-24) included an amendment that allows visitors to possess accessible and loaded weapons in these areas. I think this was a bad amendment and I am sorry it was included in the legislation.

The CARD Act implements reforms to protect consumers from abusive, confusing and deceptive practices used by credit card companies. I supported this legislation but am very disappointed that it was used to allow guns in national parks. Our parks should be places where all Americans can enjoy the beauty and peace of our natural environment.

Thanks once again for writing.
Please let me know if I can be of assistance in the future.
Sincerely, Barbara A. MikulskiUnited States Senator

No comments: