Friday, March 20, 2009

Senator Mikulski on the AIG Bonuses

Here is Senator Mikulski's views on the AIG bonuses.

Dear Mr. Wolfe:

Thank you for getting in touch with me about the outrageous bonuses American International Group (AIG) paid out to its executives. I appreciate hearing from you about this issue.

If you want to know what I think AIG really stands for, it's 'Ain't I Greedy'. People who played by the rules and are raising their families or trying to run a small business can't have access to credit. They're worried about keeping their jobs. They're losing their life savings. They're worried about holding on to their home or their health insurance.

And now the very people who helped bring the financial services and structure of the world economy to the brink of disaster want to give themselves bonuses! Giving bonuses to AIG financial executives is like giving bonuses to the captain of the Titanic for navigation. They got us into this mess. They show no remorse. And now they're saying they need to be paid extra to get us out of it.

I've sent a letter to the Chief Executive Officer of AIG telling them to voluntarily give up the bonuses. Say goodbye to the people who either don't know how to get us out of this mess or who are unwilling to help us get out of this mess unless they get a lavish bonus. And if they won't do that, I'm cosponsoring legislation to take the money back by taxing these AIG bonuses at 90 percent.

Knowing of your views is very helpful to me and I will keep them in mind. I know you're mad as hell and so am I. If you'd like to read more, I encourage you to visit my website http://mikulski.senate.gov/Newsroom/PressReleases/index.cfm where you can read the transcript of my floor statement on this issue and my letter to the CEO of AIG. Video of me speaking on the Senate floor about the AIG bonuses is available online at http://mikulski.senate.gov/Newsroom/VideoGallery/index.cfm

Again, thanks for contacting me. Please let me know if I can be of help to you in the future.

Sincerely, Barbara A. MikulskiUnited States Senator

No comments: