Saturday, December 20, 2008

Senator Mikulski on Presidential Pardons

Back on November 28th I wrote to my representives regarding Executive Orders and Presidential Pardons. Senator Barbara Mikulski (Democrat Maryland) responded yesterday and I will share her response.
It appears I'm not the only one questioning the president's powers.
Maybe it really is - Common Sense!!

Dear Mr. Wolfe:

Thank you for getting in touch with me to express your support for H. RES. 1531. It's good to hear from you.

I agree with you. It would be outrageous for President Bush to pardon members of his administration who have committed crimes, or who may be prosecuted in the future.

That is why Representative Jerrold Nadler introduced legislation that would prevent the President of the United States from issuing pardons to senior members of his administration during the final days of his term of office. This legislation is currently pending in the House of Representatives. Knowing of your views will be helpful to me should this legislation be brought up in the Senate.

I appreciate that you took the time to contact me. Please let me know if I can be of assistance to you in the future.
Sincerely,
Barbara A. MikulskiUnited States Senator

No comments: