Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Obama's Inauguration

In a little more than a month a new president will be sworn in. Obama has been putting his team together. There are a lot of impressive names in the group, it will be interesting to see how all of the egos get along. Obama is making plans, all of them unfortunately are going to cost big money. Where the money is going to come from is any one's guess, but I have a bad feeling taxes increasing in one form or another are going to be involved.

I read that Obama's staff has stated that contributions of no more than $50,000.00 will be accepted towards paying off the Inauguration celebration. Wouldn't you love to be one of the people who had fifty thousand lying around to give to a politician so you could go to a couple of parties in DC and say you were part of history?

Maybe I'm a cynic, but wouldn't the money be better spent on helping the thousands who are recently unemployed, rather than paying for champagne in ballrooms?

Another disturbing thing about this Inauguration are the amount of tickets being sold. I thought the tickets were free, you just contact one of your representatives and take what's available. Now it seems people are getting their free tickets and are then trying to sell them. I know this is a unique moment in the history of the USA,. Its sad to see that there are those more concerned with greed than history.

Of course, I'll be working so it won't matter. If I was off, I would watch it on television in the warmth of my house. I have been in DC crowds before, before Homeland Security and terrorists, and it was bad then. There is no telling just how bad it will be this time due to security. Keep your money and watch it on TV.

I think Obama should try and keep spending in check for this inauguration due to the economic condition of the country. He should lead by example and a proper tone.

Obama was elected to lead the country out of war and into economic security. From the moment he is sworn in as president, he needs to start living up to his promises.

Its Common Sense!

No comments: