Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Health Care Reform - How about a Referendum?

I sent most of this evening watching various town hall meetings on CSPAN dealing with the health reform issue.

As I stated earlier, I could not make heads or tails out of what I thought was the House of Representatives' bill, only to learn it is one proposal.

It is fascinating to hear some of the things people believe are contained in the bills and non-bills. After all, the senate has not put anything together yet. The House of Representatives will need to have their various committees get together and try and patch a bill together.

All kinds of rumors and crazy statements (I hope they're crazy) are coming out. To save cost when people reach a certain age they will be put out of their misery. Mentally challenged people will be put away and allowed to "fade" away.

What's sad is that there are actually people who believe some of this nonsense.

My suggestion is that after Congress puts together a bill that they are forced to put it in an easily readable form, make it available to their constituents on the Internet and at their offices, and then allow the public to vote on their approval or disapproval.

Why not turn this into a referendum? This reform will effect all of us, in more ways than one. Doesn't it make sense that we be the ones who vote on it, not those on the Hill who "might" have been influence by lobbyists?

Tomorrow I will write a proposal and send it to the President and my representatives. I will let them know that even though we should, it is hard to trust them on a issue that will effect all of us personally and for that reason the decision should be on our shoulders, not theirs.

Registered voters should have the opportunity to make the final decision.

I'll share my letter tomorrow.

Share your ideas as well, this debate needs to go on until the vast majority of us are happy.

Its Common Sense!!

No comments: