Sunday, February 20, 2011

Congress and the 2011 Budget

I have been away from the blog for awhile but the goings on in DC finally got to me and I need to speak out. I sent the following missive to the Speaker of the House, my senators and my Congressman. Accountability is what Congress needs to look at. Forget all the petty squabbling - look out for all Americans, not just their buddies.
Please feel free to use any part of the letter when contacting your representives.
Accountability - its Common Sense!!

Dear

I like most Americans have been listening to the debate on the Federal Budget and one word that seems to be ignored is ACCOUNTABILITY.
Congress needs to be accountable to all Americans when they make budget cuts, not just their constituents. The military said it does not need anymore C17 transport planes, but Congress keeps them in the budget because of their constituents. If the military says no, then no.
Government contractors appear to be leeches on tax payer money. All you hear about are over costs. When I hire a contractor to do work on my house, he looks at the job and tells me how much. That's what I pay him. If he made a bad estimate, it's on him not me. When are government contractors held accountable? They gave the bid to get the job; they need to live with their bid.
I agree that there is a lot of waste in Federal agencies. I am a Federal employee and see it everyday. The problem is that when we complain, we are ignored. I believe a serious study needs to be made of overtime practices if every government agencies. I know some departments that have "perpetual" overtime, yet the employees are not held accountable to production and accuracy standards. Maybe a little more Congressional oversight rather than whining would be more productive.
Big business breaks. I, like most Americans, was scandalized when the banks that caused the financial crisis were able to pay big bonuses to their employees less than a year later. Where was my bonus? My tax dollars bailed them out but I did not get anything. In truth I am being asked to sacrifice as a federal employee but they are asked to have fun spending their bonus. When won't Congress tax the rich a little more? Why are the rich protected and the middle class and poor left to pick up the bills?
With our current economic problems no business should be getting subsidies, not oil, not agro business, not anyone. These people are making billions and yet Congress wants to help them. Congress wants to cut back on EPA standards that protect the environment to assist their big business friends, but want to do away with Planned Parenthood, because uneducated girls and boys can take care of themselves.
Finally, Foreign Aide. Its time we wake up to the fact that we are not the policeman of the world. Our days of empire are coming to an end. The billions sent out in foreign aide need to stay home and take care of Americans. How many billions went to Egypt are sitting in Mubarak's Swiss account? The people of Egypt went looking for their independence on their own and have inspired the Middle East. The billions wasted in Iraq will never pay for our service men and women who died there. Afghanistan drags on and no one has seen bin Laden, which is why we went in the first place.
Bring the foreign aide money home. Put it in our schools so we can compete with the rest of the world. Put in our small businesses, so we can stop outsourcing and build things in America. Bring it home so we can give our citizens affordable health care they all deserve.
Accountability - Congress needs to be accountable to everyone. Government shut downs shows the world American leaders are school kids fighting in the playground trying to be tough regardless of the outcome. If you feel America is the world leader other countries need to look to, then start setting the example and lead. Make hard choices across the board for everyone. If all pay, it's fair, if you let the rich and "powerful" off, then its politics as normal in this country.

Thank you.
Michael Wolfe

No comments: