Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Senator Cardin on guns in National Parks

Senate Cardin finally responded to letter regarding the amendment in the Consumer Bill that allows carrying firearms in National Parks. Take a look. I still don't know how he voted? Can you tell?

Dear Friend:

Thank you for writing to me regarding your opposition to Senate Amendment 3967; regarding guns in National Parks that Senator Coburn's recently proposed the "National Forests, Parks, Public Land, and Reclamation Project Authorization Act of 2007."

Current Federal law permits individuals to transport firearms through national parks as long as the weapons are temporarily inoperable and are stored away. The amendment alters current law by allowing people to openly carry loaded and uncased weapons into national parks.

I do not believe that the current federal law violates the Second Amendment. I am aware that the Association of National Park Rangers, the U.S. Park Rangers Lodge of the Fraternal Order of Police, and the Coalition of National Park Service Retirees have all opposed this amendment, fearful that the amendment will serve to diminish the safety of park visitors and natural resources.

Thank you again for bringing this matter to my attention. Please feel free to contact me in the future if I can be of any further assistance.

Please visit my website at http://cardin.senate.gov to sign up for my e-newsletter.

No comments: